- Meet student at the door with a smile.
- Write teacher's name and class name on the whiteboard.
- Have name tags available, perhaps on desks.
- Provide appropriate activities.
- Verbally, or by letter form, teacher introduces him/herself.
- Students introduce themselves:
- Introducing him/herself, student can answer teacher's letter.
- Students interview each other and introduce each other to the class.
- Use an icebreaker activity.
Familiarize yourself with classroom and other high usage areas
- Lockers/cubbies/coat hooks
- Lunch room
- Pencil sharpeners
- Frequently used supplies
- Restroom/hall passes
- Center activities
- Container for homework
- Fire drill directions (poster)
- Media Center
Presentation of Rules, procedures and consequences
- Monitor behavior
- Choose activities that students can be successful at in content areas.
- Initially, focus on whole group instruction.
- Plan back-up materials for those students who complete assignments